The alternator finally failed last year on our 36 year old tractor. My internet parts supplier had a replacement for $230 but that's just too expensive. I figured if I got an old car alternator, one with without a built-in voltage regulator, then I could use that. I assumed I would have to fabricate some sort of bracket to match how the original was positioned on the tractor.
I visited the local Advance Auto and asked the sales representative to find an alternator for a Ford from the 60s. He entered '63 Galaxy into the computer and came up with a $40 replacement. Now, that's more like it.
Here are the two alternators. They matched very closely so no special mount fabrication was necessary. However, the replacement required one cut, as shown below.
The replacement had a smaller pulley so I purchaced a new a belt an inch smaller than the original. When I tightened the belt I ended up at the maximum length for the adjustment bracket. I recommend a belt two inches shorter than the original.
The next task was to map the connections. The markings on the Ford are written in Ford and the markings on the Long are Romanian. There were some obvious mappings like BAT on the Ford corresponding to B+ on the original and then there were some which required some educated guessing. Anyway, I was ready to give it a try, however, my Ent-wife said, "Hooooo Hummm, don't be so hasty there. Let me gaze into my palantir and see if I can find something to aid you with your connections." -or someting along those lines. After some searching, she came up with a link to a document which is best described as the Rosetta Stone for alternators. I looked up "Ford" and looked up "Romanian" and the guesswork was eliminated.
The wire mapping is:
BAT B+ (this is missing from the chart)
Here is the the Ford alternator on the tractor. The only other modification I had to make was to replace the spade connector with a ring connector for the FLD=DF wire.
Here's the original on the tractor.
That's all there is to it. Seems to work, so far.